A few examples:
Math and dance
Religion and math
Psychology and English
Biology and art
Typically two-thirds of our students
do at least one internship; many
do two or three.
January 2011 internship highlights
- John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ
- WDBJ7 Television, Roanoke, VA
- WHDD Robinhood Radio, Sharon, CT
- Varsity Pictures, Los Angeles, CA
- UNC Press, Chapel Hill, NC
- Clean Valley Council, Roanoke, VA
- Mountain Soil and Water Conservation District, Roanoke, VA
- Socio-Economic and Environmental Research Institute (SERI), Penang, Malaysia
- UBS Financial Services, New York, NY
- NVR Settlement Services, Inc., Fairfax, VA
- Guelich Capital Management, LLC, Roanoke, VA
- Valley Investments, Roanoke, VA
- Forum Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Eleanor D. Wilson Museum at Hollins University, Roanoke, VA
- Museum of the City of New York, NY
- Richard Boyd Photography, Roanoke, VA
- History Museum of Western Virginia, Roanoke, VA (
- Falkland Road, Inc., New York, NY
- FSU Foundation/John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, FL
- Office of the Curator/U.S. Supreme Court, Washington, DC
- Virginia House of Delegates, Delegate Betsy Carr ’68, Richmond, VA
- Refugee & Immigration Services, Roanoke, VA
- MH2 Technology Law Group, Falls Church, VA
- Kentucky Division of Compliance Assistance, Frankfort, KY
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Midlothian Animal Clinic, Midlothian, VA
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists, Bethesda, MD
- Halifax Regional Health System, South Boston, VA
- Manor Equine Hospital, Monkton, MD
- Blue Ridge Cancer Care , Roanoke, VA
- Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, VA
- Saint Francis Service Dogs, Roanoke, VA
- Child Workers in Nepal (CWIN), Kathmandu, Nepal
- SARC, Bel Air, MD
- Cleveland Play House, Cleveland, OH
- Alley Theatre, Houston TX
- The Dairy Barn Arts Center, Athens, OH
- Clinical & Forensic Institute, Inc., Davie, FL
- Snowshoe Mountain Resort, Snowshoe, WV
- Panasonic Avionics Corporation, Shanghai, China
- Local Colors, Roanoke, VA
- Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC
- Estee Lauder Global Communications, New York, NY
- Innovations Academy Charter School (k-8), San Diego, CA
- Virginia Zoological Park, Norfolk, VA
- Sweet Tea Photography, LLC, Alexandria, VA
- Bayview Farm, Cape Charles, VA
- Antigravity Fitness, LLC, New York, NY
- U.S. Forest Service, Roanoke, VA
If you think winter is for hibernation, you’ll change your mind when you take a close look at our four-week January Short Term. J-Term provides you with the unique opportunity to test drive a career with an internship,take a travel/study course, or sign up for an engaging seminar (pass/fail), so you can safely explore outside your major.
From your first day at Hollins, you’ll start thinking about where you want to go in life. The Career Center’s HollinsWorks program will help you every step of the way – from internships and skills development to lifelong career counseling.
Argentina Germany Ghana Ireland Italy Greece Japan Mexico Spain South Africa School for Field Studies
In a typical year, as many as half of Hollins students have an international learning experience.
Among the first abroad programs in the country, established in 1955.
Combines outstanding field-trip based classes with optional British university classes and internships.
Hollins organizes a mini Peace Corps project each summer to Lucea, a community on the coast of Jamaica. Students work on a variety of community-based projects – from teaching in the school system to working with the local infirmary to refurbishing community buildings.
green is fresh
Hollins President Nancy Gray has signed an initiative along with 260 other colleges and universities to reduce and eventually eliminate greenhouse gas emissions on their campuses and increase research and education toward restabilizing the earth’s climate.
- The Album, campus literary journal published each semester
- Alpha Psi Omega, student actors, designers, and technicians
- Arts Association, a weekly gathering of painters, writers, photographers, actors, and printmakers
- Black Student Alliance, dedicated to providing awareness of African American culture
- Cargoes, annual Hollins literary magazine of student work and Nancy Thorp Memorial Poetry Content winners
- College Democrats at Hollins
- Community Garden, students engaging in sustainable agriculture which produces seasonal produce for the Hollins and Roanoke communities
- Cross Country Club, focuses on promoting and developing the awareness of cross country running at Hollins
- Cyborg Griffin is an annual literary magazine focused on fantasy and science fiction.
- DIVAS (Developing and Inspiring Vibrant and Ambitious Students) is dedicated to helping students overcome obstacles, achieve their goals, and be successful
- Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, works in the pursuit of feminist ideals
- Fencing Club, intercollegiate sport
- Foundation 42, for sci-fi, fantasy or horror enthusiasts
- French Club, for those interested in all things French
- Global Interest Association, cultivates appreciation of the contributions, values, views, and traditions of diverse cultures
- Grapheon, arranges programs of literary interest to the community
- Hollins Columns, student newspaper
- Hollins Outdoor Program (HOP), provides opportunities for canoeing, camping, biking, rafting, cross-country and downhill skiing, hiking, and rock climbing.
- Hollins Repertory Dance Company, offers the opportunity for creative dance study
- Hollins University Television, student-run closed-circuit television station
- Martial Arts Club introduces students to different types of martial arts
- Model UN, explores how the UN works and global issues through debate and conferences
- OUTloud, promotes the equality of all people and fosters awareness of the need for equal rights legislation
- Psychology Club provides opportunities and encouragement for students interested in psychology
- Softball Club is a slow pitch team, where students have the opportunity to practice and play in local tournaments
- Spanish Club, promotes Spanish/Hispanic culture
- Spinster, the annual yearbook
- Spirit Squad promotes school spirit in support of Hollins University’s athletic teams
- Spiritual and Religious Life Association, focuses on helping create a religiously tolerant and knowledgeable Hollins
- A Student Anti-Genocide Coalition, part of a larger organization formed to curtail genocide worldwide
- Student Virginia Education Association, promotes an understanding of the teaching profession
- Students for Environmental Action, promotes environmental issues, specifically reducing and recycling
- Student Helping Achieve Rewarding Experiences, coordinates students who wish to serve as volunteers in Roanoke or internationally
- University Republicans, promotes an awareness of the political system particularly as it relates to the Republican Party.
- WA2, promotes the viewing and appreciation of Japanese animation
- Wilderness Adventure Club, fosters outdoor leadership and fun as well as raises awareness of events offered through Hollins Outdoor Program
- Women Art Supporters of Hollins (WASH) is dedicated to furthering the excitement of art in the Hollins community,
Through the Batten Leadership Institute, you’ll learn more in three years than most people learn in a lifetime. Our unique Certificate in Leadership Studies emphasizes effective communication through classes, communication skills groups, and student-designed leadership projects.
Abrina Schnurman-Crook, executive director of the Batten Leadership Institute
Hottest riding school*
The Hollins riding program has won two national championships, and 18 Hollins riders have been national champions. The team has finished in the top ten 12 times since 1993.
* Kaplan/Newsweek college guide
If you enjoy the outdoors, with some adventure thrown in, then the Hollins Outdoor Program — or HOP — is for you. HOP combines adventure, education, self-awareness, and leadership all into one fun, exciting program.
- Located in a valley surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, the university is a 10-minute drive from the Appalachian Trail, with endless opportunities for hiking and camping.
- The New River Gorge, home to some of the best rock climbing and white-water paddling on the East Coast, is just two hours from the university.
- During ski season, the slopes of the Homestead, Wintergreen, and Snowshoe ski resorts beckon Hollins students, faculty and staff.