Home : Giving to Hollins : Questions

Questions About Giving

Q: What does unrestricted mean?

A: Unrestricted gifts are funds that Hollins can spend immediately to support the greatest needs of the institution. They are not earmarked for a specific program or initiative.

  • Unrestricted gifts to the Hollins Fund help meet day-to-day operations of the institution, such as faculty salaries, library books, heating and cooling, laboratory supplies, athletic equipment, and maintenance. Approximately 8 percent of the Hollins operating budget is funded annually by gifts to the Hollins Fund.
  • Unrestricted gifts to the endowment enable Hollins to respond quickly to timely opportunities or changing demands of today's academic environment. Endowment income helps pay competitive faculty salaries, provide competitive financial aid packages, and to maintain and improve facilities at higher levels than can be funded by tuition alone.
Q: What is Hollins' fiscal year?

A: July 1 - June 30. The fiscal year is determined by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2008 began on July 1, 2007 and ended June 30, 2008.

Q: Can I make my gift online? Is my credit card protected?

Yes. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Our online giving form is a secure form backed by Authorize.Net's powerful 128-bit encryption.

Q. Is there another way I can give besides online?

A: Yes. You may mail a check made out to Hollins University to P.O. Box 9629, Roanoke, VA 24020, call us toll-free at 800-846-5371 (800-Tinker1), or set up monthly recurring gifts.

Q: Can I give my gift in monthly installments?

A: Yes! We are happy to receive your gift through monthly installments made via credit or debit card. Please fill out the Hollins Recurring Gift form (PDF), print it out, fill it out, and mail it back to Hollins University, P.O. Box 9629, Roanoke, VA 24020. Or call Kerry Kinnison '12, assistant director of the Hollins Fund, at (540) 362-6663 and she will be happy to help you set up your recurring gift.

Q: Can I direct my gift to a specific place?

A: Yes. Hollins has many areas that need the support of alumnae, parents, and friends: the Hollins Fund, scholarships, endowment funds, capital projects, the Eleanor D. Wilson Museum, and the Friends of Athletics. Just select the "other" button on the Give Online form if you would like your gift directed to another designation besides the Hollins Fund, and type in where you would like your gift directed.

Q: Is my gift tax deductible?

A: Yes. You may have to reduce your gift amount by any benefits you received as a result of your gift. Hollins will let you know if you received any benefits that you must report as a reduction to your deduction. For income tax purposes, Hollins' federal ID number is 54-0506314.

Q: How can I get my gift matched by my employer?

A: Your gift to Hollins can be multiplied by matching funds from companies and foundations. If your company, your spouse's company, a company from which you are retired, or a corporate board you are a member of has a matching gift program, getting your gift matched is easy. All you need to do is contact the company's personnel office to obtain the forms, fill them out, and mail them to Hollins. Some companies have matching gift forms online; ask the company's personnel office for more information.

Q: How can I make a gift of stock?

A: Electronic transfer is the safest and fastest way to give stock to Hollins. It requires two easy steps:

1. Call the Institutional Advancement Office at (800) 846-5371 or e-mail gifts@hollins.edu to give the name of the stock, the number of shares you intend to transfer, the approximate value of the stock, and the designation.

2. After contacting Hollins:

  • Have your broker call Jodie Wertz or Stephen Waskey at the Roanoke office of Morgan Stanley (1-877-449-4449; toll free) to advise them of the approximate number and value of shares you intend to give and if you want the gift to be for any special purpose. Their website is: www.morganstanleyfa.com/dunkenbergerwaskeygroup
  • Hollins' account number with Morgan Stanley is 936-107505.
  • The DTC transfer number is 0015.
  • The address for Morgan Stanley is: 10 South Jefferson Street, Suite 1700, Roanoke, VA 24011.

For information on how to transfer stock certificates by mail, please contact the Institutional Advancement Office at (800) 846-5371 or gifts@hollins.edu. You also may give mutual fund shares to Hollins and avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation in value. Each mutual fund company has different procedures. Please contact your financial advisor or mutual fund company for assistance in transferring mutual funds.

Q: What are the different levels of giving?

A: A gift of any amount is valuable and appreciated. However, gifts of $1,842 or more give you membership in The 1842 Society, our leadership giving society. Miss Matty's Circle is our leadership donor society for alumnae who graduated within the last 14 years.

Q: What is the minimum gift to start a scholarship? What if I wanted to endow it?

A: A gift of $100,000 will fully endow a named scholarship, providing approximately $5,000 per year to a deserving student or students. A gift of $500,000 will endow a competitive, full-tuition scholarship. Please contact us at (800) Tinker1 or gifts@hollins.edu if you would like more information.

Q: I'd like to get involved. What volunteer opportunities are available?

There are a variety of ways to give the gift of your time to Hollins, and we appreciate your efforts. You may volunteer for admission, your class, your local alumnae chapter, or as a career advisor to students. Contact us at 800-846-5371 (800-Tinker1) or alumnae@hollins.edu to let us know how you would like to get involved.

Q: How can I change my address?

A: Just fill out the Online Update form with your new information, and we will update your records. You may also contact us at 800-846-5371 (800-Tinker1) or alumnae@hollins.edu to update your information.