Home : NEW STUDENTS : Parents : Health Services

Health services information

As director of the student health and counseling services at Hollins University, I'd like to say hello and highlight a few services and recommendations that will help Hollins students at times of medical and psychological need. Most important, I want to let you know that we're here to care for each student and to serve her needs if and when they arise. Hollins University has an integrated health and counseling service. All the providers work together to provide a quality of care that can assist students with meeting the challenges they may experience in college life.

Health and Counseling Services is open 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Friday. I am a registered nurse, and I'm available during these hours to provide screening and management for a wide variety of health problems. A family practice nurse practitioner is on campus Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Appointments are preferred but we will see walk-ins as the schedule permits or the situation dictates. If appropriate, we will refer to health care providers in the community. In the event of an emergency or severe illness or injury, we have three excellent hospitals nearby, and a rescue service is available if needed.

There are some specific health conditions for which prior documentation is very helpful. If a student is currently prescribed medication for ADD/ADHD, continuing that medication is very important to a successful academic experience. To maintain that continuity of treatment most students require a local physician to write a prescription for their medication. The University Physician, Dr. William K. Harris, requests you provide a letter from your physician with documentation of diagnosis and medication dosage. This letter will allow the student to get the prescription regularly for the academic year after an assessment with the physician, therefore maintaining stability with prescribed medication.

Emotional issues can sometimes interfere with academics. If there is a history of depression, anxiety, eating disorder, substance abuse, informing the director of health and counseling services before a problem arises can be helpful. A letter from a psychiatrist, family physician, or therapist with documentation of diagnosis and medication dosage, is extremely helpful for continuity of care. Licensed clinical social workers are on campus during office hours for appointments. A psychiatrist is on campus once a month. Students are allowed six free counseling sessions with a counselor per academic year. After the sixth visit, there is a $30 fee per session.

I also wanted to update you on meningococcal disease. There is a vaccine, Menactra, available that should give longer protection than the previous vaccines. It is a single shot, and the most common reaction is a sore arm. This vaccine is for people 11-55 years of age. For additional information, visit the CDC Web site regarding the meningococcal vaccine.

Finally, we take medical confidentiality seriously at Health and Counseling Services. It is mandated by law that we can't release any medical information to parents unless the student requests us to do so. This includes information regarding charges to accounts. Having said all this, we are glad to talk to parents about concerns and will do whatever we can to facilitate better communication. Do not hesitate to call if I can be of any assistance (540-362-6444).

Phyllis Isaacs, M.S.A., R.N.
Health and Counseling Services