Four full years
College life is more than the three R's. The fourth R — recreation — is a way to recharge, refresh, and renew through a host of out-of-class activities. Whether it's through playing a sport, enjoying the outdoors, partying, shopping, volunteering, or being active in a club, you'll find plenty of ways to re-create yourself at Hollins.
Below are some examples of what Hollins students do for fun. We know you'll come up with more. Slideshow »
- Listen to rising stars in the music world in the newly renovated student center, "The Rat"
- Sit and socialize in the rockers on the porch of Main Building
- Audition for a theatre production
- Cheer on your classmates during a soccer game
- Can you karaoke? Be bold during one of the BSA's "melt the mic" nights
- Attend the annual pancake study break (faculty and administrators do the flippin')
- Take a study break and attend Movie Night
- Attend the fall or spring dance gathering
- Go sledding on Tinker Beach
- Get to know your profs at a "Teacher Tea"
- Master the climbing wall
- Check out the books by Hollins authors in the beautiful Hollins Room in the Robertson Library
- Enjoy a day of fun and games at Mayfest
- Drink in great poetry and prose during the annual Literary Festival
Explore Roanoke (at 250,000 people, it's got a lot to offer)*
- Discover a skyline view of the city from the star on top of Mill Mountain
- Socialize at Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea downtown on the Market or grab a mocha latte at Starbucks
- Check out the Grandin Theatre's independent film offerings
- Rummage through the many thrift and antique stores in the Roanoke Valley
- Check out restaurants and night spots in downtown Roanoke
- Visit Mill Mountain Zoo
- Shop at Valley View Mall
- Visit the historic farmers' market in downtown Roanoke
- *Recently featured in Garden & Gun magazine
- Plan your Tinker Day skit
- Hike up Tinker Mountain
- Entertain your family and friends during Family Weekend
- Savor tea and cookies during the annual Holiday Tea
- Have fun with friends at Fall Formal and Spring Cotillion
- Earn your class ring during Ring Night
- Take joy in the beauty of the White Gift Service
- Paint "The Rock"
- Enjoy the beauty of nature at nearby Carvin's Cove
- Pack a picnic and explore the view from the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway
- While you're at it, hike part of the Appalachian Trail
- Go downhill skiing, caving, rock climbing, and more with the Hollins Outdoor Program
- Take a day trip to D.C.
- Visit friends at one of the 10 colleges and universities within driving distance of Hollins