B.A. + Teaching License + M.A.T. (Five Years)

Undergraduate Students – Five-Year M.A.T. program (Master of Arts in Teaching)

Education - earn a teaching license


In the five-year program, students stay an extra year at Hollins to pursue topics in education in more depth and to begin scholarly work as an educator and leader in the field. For the M.A.T. program, a student teaching grant pays for 12 credits of student teaching.

Here is what to do first:
Register for EDUC 141: Schooling in American Society, offered fall and spring.

Choose a major.
For a Virginia teaching license, you will need to take education courses in addition to the requirements for your major.

Education - earn a teaching licenseChoose an endorsement.
Endorsement areas offered through Hollins University include:

  • The B.A. + M.A.T. + licensure program offers endorsements in the following areas:
    • PK-6: Elementary
    • PK-12: foreign language (French, Latin, Spanish), visual arts
    • 6-12: English, history and social sciences, biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics

To find out more about education programs, contact dmartin@hollins.edu, 540-362-7460.