Transfer Students

Education - earn a teaching license - transfer students

There are various paths to becoming a teacher. Many of our students complete their college experience here at Hollins after beginning their education elsewhere. Hollins offers a research-based curriculum filled with many opportunities to grow and to learn as an educator. We have flexible course offerings to help you balance all aspects of your life. We will work with you to help make your goal of becoming a teacher a reality.

Here is what to do first:

Contact our admission office, 540-362-6401, 800-456-9595 or, and they can assist you in the transfer process.

Register for EDUC 141: Schooling in American Society, offered fall and spring. In order to finish in two years, transfer students should sign up for this course fall semester.

Choose a major.
For a Virginia teaching license, you will need to take education courses in addition to the requirements for your major.

Education - earn a teaching license - transfer studentsChoose a program.
Hollins offers two different paths to licensure:

  • B.A. + licensure
  • B.A. + licensure + M.A.T.

*A Hollins a student teaching grant pays for 12 credits of student teaching for the M.A.T. program

Choose an endorsement.
Endorsements offered:
Either program offers endorsements in the following areas:

  • PK-6: Elementary
  • PK-12: foreign language (French, Latin, Spanish), visual arts
  • 6-12: English, history and social sciences, biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics

Eduction - earn a teaching license - transfer studentsAbout the Community College Transfer Module:
Prospective students must select carefully from the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) courses in order to complete the transfer module. All courses must be completed within the VCCS, and students must earn a grade of C or better in each course if they wish to transfer the set as a module. This package will be acceptable at Hollins University as complete fulfillment of the Hollins general education core (Education through Skills and Perspectives). Students do not have to complete the associate’s degree to fulfill the Hollins Transfer Module.

If a student is interested in pursuing a teaching license at Hollins University, we strongly recommend the student complete teaching-specific courses. The links below provide detailed information about recommended courses based on endorsement preference. The courses included in each list will satisfy requirements by counting for both the Hollins general education core and the general education courses required by the Virginia Department of Education. This will enable a seamless transition and will help the student stay on track to a timely graduation.

Elementary Education Transfer Module  (PK-6) (PDF)

Secondary Education Transfer Module (6-12) (PDF)

To find out more about education programs, contact, 540-362-7460.