I celebrate the philosophy of education in everything I do and I have pursued every available opportunity to teach. The core of my approach to teaching at Hollins University is that learning occurs when students are engaged in an active process of the material. I want to engage students in classroom discussion and challenge them to learn more than they think possible. I strongly believe that this can best be accomplished through treating each class as a journey, where I am responsible for directing the class toward a destination, but the students are active participants in creating the path to arrive there.
Besides teaching, I also focus on training students in my research lab. I am interested in exploring new efficient fluorescence probes to detect proteins of interest and new methods in carbohydrate chemistry and applying them into the total synthesis of pharmaceutical products which have several biological activities.
Areas of Expertise
- Organic chemistry, especially total synthesis and methodology in carbohydrate chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry I & II
- Advanced Biochemistry
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Ph.D., Tufts University, School of Arts and Sciences, Medford, MA
- B.S., University of Massachusetts at Lowell, Lowell, MA
- A.S., Bunker Hill Community College, Boston, MA
Publications & Articles
- Nemmara, V. V.; Tilvawala, R.; Salinger, A. J.; Miller, L.; Nguyen, S. H.; Weerapana, E.; Thompson, P. R. “Citrullination Inactivates Nicotinamide-N-methyltransferase”, ACS Chemical Biology, 2018, 13, 9, 2663–2672
- Tilvawala, R. *; Nguyen, S. H.*; Maurais, A. J.*; Nemmara, V. V.; Nagar, M.; Salinger, A. J.; Nagpal, S.; Weerapana, E; Thompson, P. R. “The Rheumatoid Arthritis-Associated Citrullinome”, Cell Chemical Biology 2018, 25, 691-704. (* These co-first authors contributed equally).
- Chu, A.-H. A.; Nguyen, S. H.; Sisel, J. A.; Minciunescu, A.; Bennett, C. S. “Selective Synthesis of 1,2-cis-α-Glycosides without Directing Groups. Application to Iterative Oligosaccharide Synthesis”. Org. Lett. 2013, 15, 2566 – 2569.
- Nguyen, S. H.; Trotta, A. H.; Cao, J.; Straub, T. J.; Bennett, C. S. “Direct O-Glycosylation of Resin Bound Thioglycosides”. Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, 2373 – 2376.
- Nogueira, J. M.; Nguyen, S. H.; Bennett, C. S. “Cyclopropenium Cation Promoted Dehydrative Glycosylation Using 2-Deoxy- and 2,6-Dideoxy-Sugar Donors”. Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 2814 – 2817.
- Design, synthesis, and evaluation of efficient probes to detect proteins of interest in biological settings
- Exploring new methods in carbohydrate chemistry and applying them into the total synthesis of pharmaceutical products which have several biological activities